This is one of our families all time favorite dish; I hardly ever make it because I just couldn’t come up with the exact recipe that would taste like home. My mom usually sends me the Gravy packs from Knorr, since they are unavailable in the US L, but my kids bugged me the last few weeks to make Goulash. So I experimented with a few ingredients that I remember would go into the goulash and thought “well, either it’s a go” or ” we will eat something else tonight”….lol; Turns out it was a HIT and I loved it even more than the package gravy my mom used to send. The only bad thing, I didn’t cook enough, since I wasn’t sure if the kids would eat it… next time I have to double or even triple this recipe… The boys LOVED it.. and it turned out to be my favorite, too.
Was really simple …..This is what you will need:
- 1 pound Beef Cubes ( the traditional German Goulash has ½ lb. Beef cubes and ½ lb. pork cubes)
- 1 small 6 oz can of Tomato sauce
- 3 tables spoon of Tomato paste
- 3-4 cups of water/ beef stock ( I use Knorr Bouillon cubes to make 4 cups, can be purchased at your local grocery store, but are a German product)
- Mushrooms, cut in ¼ pieces
- 1 tablespoon Sweet paprika powder ( the more the better…J)
- 1 onion, diced
- You can also add Carrots and Potatoes to make it a entire Meal in one, I had no Carrots and was too lazy to peel the potatoes before work..lol
This is how to make it:
- Add all your liquids, Tomato sauce, Tomato Paste & paprika Powder to the Crockpot
- Add the meat & veggies
- Close lid and cook on high for 4-5 hours on low 6-8 hours
Serve over potatoes, rice or even pasta.
For more yummy Crockpot recipes, check out my Crockpot Section