Cold and Flu Season is upon us, or getting close. I’m fortune my kids are hardly ever sick ( knock on wood and last week’s episode was one in a few that I can count on my hands, as old as they are, so yes we are fortune and Thankful).
But I have some tips to at least try to keep the Cold & Flu Germs to a minimum
- Keep Hands Clean, wash wash wash as much as you can. Each time have the child sing the ABC or Old Mc Donald to make sure they are washing long enough to get the germs off their hands ( 15-20 seconds)
- For times when you can’t wash have the little ones use Hand Sanitizer, like at the playground, before and after a shopping trip, before and after they eat, and anything you can think of. I’m a germ a ho-pic, that’s probly not a word, but I carry a Hand Sanitizer in every diaper bag, purse, car, my office, anywhere you go I have one, two maybe 3…just in case…
- Use those Sanitizing wipes that most Groceries stores / Stores offer in the cart section, they put them there for free why not use them and wipe down the cart for just a second or two… I use them all the time, just in case…
- Make sure your child gets lots of exercise and spends lots of time outside in the fresh air, I know here in Florida it’s really HOT still, but in the evenings right before the Mosquito’s come out around 5:30sih it is nice outside and I let the kids play soccer or just catch the dog for 30 min on top of all the other activities they had during the day, whatever it is just make sure your kids get lots of exercise
- After all that running around they should be ready to have a GREAT night sleep, which is another key plenty of rest, will also keep them sharp the next day in school.
- Avoid touching the face, now this I’m sure is tough on almost everyone, we constantly touch our eyes, nose, lips etc. I constant catch myself touching my eyes and nose and I know I need to quit, but… anyway that is a big thing, kids can avoid catching germs by not touching their mouth, lot of viruses are transmitted by whatever the kids have on their hand and then putting their fingers in their mouth, or eyes…
- Cover up when you have to sneeze, I know I just said don’t touch your face, all of us at the Crazy mom house use their elbows when we sneeze, it;s just a habit I have ever since I was a little girl and it sure comes in handy, you don’t sneeze your hands and then move on to touch the stove, microwave or shake hands and pass on all those yukky germs..
- Of Course a healthy balanced diet will play a big role as well, make sure you little one or bigger kids eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, lots of Vitamin C like Orange Juice, if your kids don’t like veggies, how about trying some of the Sneaky Chef recipes, they may just do the trick for you. I haven’t tried them yet, but plan on adding them to my menu in the near future, just because I’m curious myself how it taste and if the kids would find out what I put in their food, since I have the worlds most pickiest eaters at my table…lol
I know there are lots more and I would love if you can share any of your own tips with us. I’m not a professional just a mom and I’m not trying to tell everyone what to do, just give some ideas that I hope will help or remind some now with Flu and Cold Season right around the corner.