Let’s face it, if you have curly hair there really isn’t much you can do, right? It either curls everywhere, it turns into a Frizz ball or you can just cut it off… BUT WHY?? Show off your Curls and be proud of them…. and make them look healthy.
I was born with natural curly hair, however my mom didn’t keep it curly, I don’t know if my mom didn’t know how to handle curly hair back in the 70’s or if it was just easier to brush it out; but I honestly had no clue that I had curly hair till I was about 13/14 years old. Odd isn’t it? I’ve always wanted curls and remember asking my mom to braid my hairs for hours before bed and putting Hair rollers in to get some kind of wave going….One day I was tired of my Long stringy, frizzy hair and I went to a friend’s house and got a haircut, little did we know that this cut would change my life forever. I wanted my hair shoulder length and when I walked out I looked like a poodle… my hair had jumped up to my ears… I was in tears and yet I loved the new found curls… It was even to the girl who had been cutting hairs for many many years, a total different experience she had never seen anything like it… Overnight I had a head full of curls to handle….
Ever since that one summer day back in the 90’s I had curly hair.. I had my ups and my downs and some days were good some are not so.. BUT I learned to love my curls and decided to share some easy care tips with you, these are simple efficient tips and I bet you will see a world of difference in your hair.
Here are just a few tips that I’ve learned over the years and I’m sure there are many more….
- Don’t wash your hair EVERY day…… I try to skip washing my hair for about a day sometimes 2 days, I use a water bottle ( I actually re-use an empty hair spray or conditioner spray bottle) and fill it with water on the days where I don’t wash my hair and spray it to get the curls back in shape.
- Don’t go to bed with wet hair: This will totally deform your curls, rather wash your hair in the morning and let it dry
- Never use Curling iron or hair driers: This will completely dry out your hair. Let it air dry, your curls will form it’s natural form
- Use very little mouse, cream or hair spray. I never use all at once, if I use mouse then just a small amount it will form my curls and keep them soft and fluff all day, if it’s humid outside I add a little hair cream and it works like a charm, I never ever use hair spray and my curls just stay where they are, if they lay flat sometimes I put my head over head run my fingers through and shake back.. Voila.. back to beautiful curls J
- DON”T BRUSH your hair: Never brush your hair, just wash and run your fingers through and then let it dry, don’t touch your curls till completely dry, then bow your head down run your fingers through real quick, shake back and your curls will be beautiful
- Use a Microfiber towels to dry: This is a new tip that I learned just a few weeks ago and let me tell you, this changed my hair completely. I have not seen my curls this beautiful in I have no idea how long. I use the kitchen microfiber cloth to squeeze my hair dry and form the curls rather than a normal towel. It removes more water and forms the curls nicer… I love it.
- Don’t use shampoo every time you wash. I maybe use shampoo once a week other then that I just run my hair through water. It will not dry out
- Thanks to a wonderful book I found Curly Girl I got a tip: Stand under the shower and just lean your head back let the water run through your hair, don’t really touch it ( unless this is a day you will use shampoo) and let the water do its thing… WOW.. amazing tip.. my curls formed even better than ever before… This is a true story.. I love this tip!!!
These are just a few tips and ideas that work for me; simple time saving in the morning yet a beautiful turnout. This takes me about 5 minutes to get my hair ready. Last week was the first week I did the Microfiber technique and you will not believe how many clients and co-workers have mentioned “You’re hair looks pretty, did you change something?”. A simple change, switch from a regular towel to a microfiber towel ( I’m cheap I use the kitchen towels you can buy like a pack of 4 for $5 bucks at Wal-Mart ..lol), who would have know??
How do you handle your mad Curly hair??? Everyone has different Curly hair but everyone with Curly hair can have beautiful hair…J
Would love to hear more tips and tricks
I was inspired to write this post by a fellow blogger over at Faithfully Free who I look up to very much, she had “curly” issues with her little “Curly Sue” and that made me think of my hair, some comments on her blog stirred me to the book Curly Girl, I have not bought the book yet, but read the FREE preview on Amazon.com
and was able to get a lot of great tips out of the FREE tips and as soon as I have some extra money, I will buy the book; I cannot believe the change in my Curls in just a week following some simple tips ……I’m super excited to follow these simple steps for my Toddlers hair as well, I will never brush out her curls and let her enjoy them..
Curls are beautiful… stand by them, show them off and they are WHO YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be proud of them….!!!
Be sure to check out my updated Post to this HERE