I’m a curly head and my princess was lucky enough to get my curls, along with a red hair color. Curly heads can have good days and bad days all in the same hour. If it’s humid out you will have a frizz ball, if it’s wet you will get a frizz ball and if it’s too hot it can dry your hair out. Who knew that having natural curls can be such a pain to deal with to get the curls beautiful every day.
I found some easy ways to keep my curls beautiful day in and day out and thought it would be very helpful for some of you if I share my tips. Would love to hear if you have any other ones, too. Let’s stick together and get our natural girls beautiful again without a lot of work.
Curly Hair tips
1. Don’t wash your hair every day!! Curly hair needs the oil that gets washed away when you use water on your hair; the longer you go without washing your hair the more amazing your curls will look. Water will strip the hair of oils and will dry out the hair and your scalp. I usually only wash my hair once a week. I do use a dry shampoo in between if I feel I need to get a little more clean on. Aveeno has a wonderful Sulfate free dry shampoo that not only smells amazing, but also will cleanse your hair in-between washing times. The exclusive formula is infused with balancing ACTIVE NATURALS® Seaweed Extract to instantly revive hair for healthy manageability. The Aveeno dry shampoo formula is sulfate free and designed to remove excess oil and impurities to help boost volume. Great product if you need to freshen your hair a bit.
2. Don’t use regular towels to dry your hair! Ever! yes, do not use a regular towel, the fibers in the towel will frizz your hair and break up the curls. A much better way for curly heads to dry the hair is to use a t-shirt or a microfiber cloth and squeeze out the excess water. Do not rub, just squeeze. You will see if you follow just this step in a few days/weeks your curls will already look a lot different and a lot less frizzy!!
3. Only use Sulfate Free products! That’s a BIG must. It’s nowadays super easy to find Sulfate Free products, but for curly heads that’s a big MUST HAVE product. I use the Aveeno Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner for my hair and love the way it cleans the hair and gives me the moisture that my very dry hair needs. Curly hair by nature is very dry and the more moisturizer you put in the more beautiful your curls will be. I only use the actual Aveeno Shampoo maybe once a month or every other month if I need to strip my hair of dirt, all the other times I only use the Conditioner to wash my hair. Remember, curly hair doesn’t like water but NEEDS the moister, so wash less and moisturize often. I love the smell of the Aveeno Pure renewal products and they are a MUST in my healthy curly routine.
4. Trim the ends often on your curls. I don’t get my hair cut, because I haven’t found anyone that won’t butcher my curls, but cutting curly hair is simple if you want to do it yourself. Just grab a curl and clip the ends, that’s it. You can’t really mess it up, no curl is ever the same length or density. The last time I had my hair cut was a good 10 years ago, and the lady decided curls weren’t that great to work with and she cut the top half of my hair and then left the bottom.. I looked awful and never went back. Ever since I trim myself and no one ever knows that I did it myself. But trimming the ends will give your curls new breathing room and make them grow faster.
5. Use a little gel to curl your beautiful curls. I don’t use a lot and a little gel will go a long way. After I wash my hair and add conditioner I put a little gel in my curls and let them air dry. It will take some time for the curls to completely dry, but do NOT touch the curls until they are completely dry. Once they are dry run your fingers through and your curls are done! The next few days all you need to do is grab a little conditioner in the morning (I actually use a small amount of the Aveeno pure renewal conditioner), run it through your curls and you are done. I only add the gel after I wash the hair and it will last all week till I was the hair again. Super easy and your hair looks beautiful even on a humid day.
Now you are on your way to a perfect curly head as well; simple and once you get used to the routine and the “not” washing during the week, you will quickly see your curls jumping into beautiful curls and you don’t have to worry about the weather and it really takes no time at all. I work at an office during the day 5 days a week and I still have to get the kids ready for the school bus before I head out, I don’t have time to spend hours with my hair. I really wake up, run the conditioner from Aveeno through my hair and within 15 minutes I’m out the door. It takes longer to brush my teeth then to fix my hair. It’s that simple. The key are great products that you can count on and will keep your hair looking beautiful.
If you are ready for a beautiful curly head or looking for Sulfate free products, I suggest checking out the Sulfate free line that Aveeno has to offer. I love Aveeno for my skin and the new hair care line is amazing for my curls now, too. You can get more information on the Aveeno website or follow on Facebook. Of course you can pick up your Aveeno Sulfate Free products at your local retailer like Walmart, Target and drugstores like CVS and Walgreens.
Would love to hear your Curly hair stories….
We received the product for our honest review; all opinions are 100% our own and no other compensation was nor will be received. Affiliated links may be included in the post.