Its time for another dog post. I’ve taken some time off to talk about my Peanut Gallery over the holidays, we have one that hasn’t been doing so well. I know, you probably are wondering what happened to Charlie since you haven’t heard much about him, he is fine. Let me ensure you my peanut baby is doing well despite being diagnosed with diabetes a few month ago and shortly after turning completely blind. That adjustment took some time for all of us but meanwhile he has adjusted and he is doing very well. So well that I wanted to give him a little treat.
After his diagnosis he cut out all treats and he struggled with eating, we called him our grumpy ol’ man, he is already 12 years after all. He ate what he wanted when he wanted and didn’t care if I had to give him insulin every 12 hrs. AFTER eating. Nope, he was stubborn all the way, it wasn’t easy but we love him stubbornness and all and we managed to get him to love his new food and he has been doing really well. So it was time for a treat. I did a lot of research, sugar babies aren’t allowed to eat everything, just like humans with diabetes, they have a strict diet. However he can cheat every so often if it’s in moderation.
I came across this super fun blog post from Irresistible Pets where they made Strawberry Smoothie Valentine Treats and new I had to make these for my babies. Well… Strawberries were a no no for Charlie so I changed it a little, but her idea was great and made me think “Why haven’t I done this sooner”.
A few phone calls back and forth to my vet to make sure the ingredients are completely sugar baby ( we call our diabetic dogs sugar babies) safe, I made my very own frozen smoothie version for all three of my fur babies. Beware, they are to be given in MODERATION! (I also would suggest talking to your vet if you have any questions or concerns about your dog)
This is what you need:
1 cup plain yogurt, make sure it is not sugar free or fat free, take the plain ol’ yogurt
½ cup peanut powder ~ I used Jiff a few weeks ago in a Smoothie, so I used that for the pups, too.
2 Small Bananas
This is how to make it:
Place yogurt, peanut powder and 1 banana in your blender, blend well.
Fill the form with the Banana Yogurt smoothie mix
Place in the freezer for a few hours.
Let each dog enjoy one a day
I really wanted the heart shaped forms but couldn’t find them anywhere and time ran out to order online, there is always next year. The muffin pan worked well, I used a little coconut oil to grease the pan, I was worried it wouldn’t come out easily, it worked really well.
There you have my Valentine’s Day treat for my peanut Gallery, the best part… The kids could eat them as well and enjoy a cool treat with their fur babies. Nothing wrong with that, they are all natural and you know what’s exactly in the treat. My babies gobbled them up and loved it. Charlie my sugar baby loves yogurt so this was a favorite treat for him, he savored every lick and Woodstock thought he was special with his special treat and he kept looking for more.
I’m so glad I found the pin on pinterest for the Fruit Smoothie dog treat recipe that gave me the idea to make my very own. Don’t you love Pinterest? Awesome ideas for sure. Check out a few of my fellow bloggers below, they set off to Pinterest as well to come up with their favorite Pin of the month and created their very own version. It’s a must see!
- Berry Sipper Mocktail by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Starbucks Cup Gift Card Holder by Homemaking Hacks
- Ice Lanterns by Upstate Ramblings
- Lip Scrub by Mom Always Finds Out
- The Best Homemade Vanilla Extract by How Was Your Day?
- The Best Crockpot Chili Recipe by Food Fun Family
- Vintage Cheddar and Gruyere Mac and Cheese with Polish Kielbasa by A Day in Motherhood
- Flourless Brownies with Craisins and Pistachios by Day by Day in Our World
- DIY Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe by Just 2 Sisters
- Tiger Nut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies by Home and Garden Cafe
- Bang Bang Chicken by Jennifer Sikora
- Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Oatmeal by Sincerely Mindy
- Garlic Monkey Bread Recipe by Gator Mommy
- Homemade Vanilla Orange Mint Sugar Scrub by Baby Loving Mama
- Valentine’s Day Strawberries by Sizzling Eats
- All Natural 2 Ingredient Lip Gloss by The Socialite’s Closet
- Pantry Tomato Pasta by The Guavalicious Life
- How to Make Strawberry Pecan Bread by Mommy Snippets